01793818400 admin@ams-accountancy.co.uk

I’ve been doing part-time photography and I’m also employed full-time. My photography made a loss - can I get a tax refund?

Well, if you have made a serious time commitment to make the photography work as a business, then you have quite possibly made a “trading loss”.  If you make a trading loss, you can set it against your other income – including your employment income – which could then result in a refund of tax.  However, if you only made a minimal time commitment, then it will be seen as receiving a bit of income from a hobby. In this case HMRC would probably not allow the claim for loss relief.  This is a very grey area with no clearly defined criteria but the question of time commitment is crucial.