You need to submit an Income Tax return if HMRC send you a Tax Return to complete or, if you know that you have income tax or capital gains tax to pay.

However, HMRC have a list of further circumstances where a Tax Return should be prepared, including:

  • Your income from self-employment exceeded £1,000
  • You are a company director
  • You received over £2,500 in rental income. If it was between £1,000 and £2,500 you should contact HMRC
  • You received more than £2,500 in other income such as tips or commission
  • You received £10,000 or more before tax from savings/investments
  • You made Capital Gains in excess of £11,700
  • You have received dividends in excess of £10,000
  • Your taxable income exceeds £50,000 and you, or your partner, receive Child Benefit
  • Your taxable income exceeds £100,000.

Let AMS advise you and prepare your Tax Return