Stay informed with the latest updates

Our News page is updated daily and the news feed is supplied by Sift media who are well respected writers in the industry.  If you are interested in new laws, guidance and reports on anything that is happening in Government that could affect your business, these posts -will be useful. You can also sign up to receive them in your inbox.

How to start a company

There are a number of stages to go through – and I would recommend seeing an accountant as early in the process as possible.  It may even be the case that you shouldn’t form a company straight away as many small start-ups are better off starting as sole-traders.  But...

read more

How does owning shares in a Company work?

Limited Companies in the UK are generally limited by shares representing the ownership of the Company. So if the Company issued 100 shares and you own 1 – you own 1% of the Company.  Shares come with certain rights, the most...

read more

What Are Benefits in Kind?

Benefits in Kind (BIKs) happen when an employer pays for something on behalf of the employee which is not repaid. BIKs tend to cover personal expenditure - commonly private medical/dental cover, personal use of company cars/vans and fuel benefits etc. The BIK is...

read more

Should we set up our family business as a Partnership?

There are many reasons for not choosing a Partnership in your position, for instance: They are generally less tax efficient than Limited Companies; Partners must pay Class 4 National Insurance; All Partners are jointly responsible for all debts; Partnerships can...

read more

what to do when buying a franchise?

Talk the franchise proposition through with an accountant.  If you still think it is a good proposition, decide on the business structure (e.g. Limited Company), bookkeeping records and VAT registration, as with any business. Franchisees often pay a large lump sum for...

read more

When should I cancel my child benefit?

If you are very sure that your taxable income (after personal pension contributions and charitable donations) will exceed £60,000 in the current tax year, then you should probably opt out of the Child Benefit system.  If you think there is a chance your taxable income...

read more

What is the Personal Allowance?

Every person who is resident in the UK is given a personal allowance each tax year. It operates as follows: The personal allowance is the amount of income you can receive before paying tax – and it generally increases each tax year. For the 2022/23 tax year, it is...

read more

Get in touch today for a free consultation.

We are very happy to meet you to discuss your business or even your idea for a business. We will advise you on the most tax efficient structure if you are setting up and we can review your business if you are already trading.

Subscribe to our newsletter

By submitting your details you agree to receive email marketing from AMS Accountancy and have read and understood our Privacy Notice. You can withdraw your consent or change your preferences at any time by emailing us or by clicking the link at the bottom of every email we send you.