Stay informed with the latest updates

Our News page is updated daily and the news feed is supplied by Sift media who are well respected writers in the industry.  If you are interested in new laws, guidance and reports on anything that is happening in Government that could affect your business, these posts -will be useful. You can also sign up to receive them in your inbox.

When/why/how to set up a PAYE scheme in your limited company

The vast majority of businesses, once they reach a certain size, operate as a limited company and at some point usually consider whether to set up a company payroll (by registering with HMRC for a PAYE scheme). There are two reasons why a company would set up a...

read more

What is a Shareholders’ Agreement and when is one needed

A Shareholders’ Agreement is a private agreement – generally drawn up by a lawyer - between some or all of the shareholders of a Company. It documents information about the relationship between the shareholders; what will happen in certain eventualities (e.g....

read more

What is the marginal rate of tax?

The marginal rate of tax paid is “the percentage of tax paid on earnings for the next pound earned.” What that means is that if you earn £50,270 your marginal rate of tax is 40% because for the next pound that you earn, you will be paying tax at 40%.  Below are the...

read more

The Triple Tax Lock and why it is bad for taxpayers

In November 2019, Boris Johnson announced that he was freezing income tax, VAT and National Insurance for five years.  It was a key part of the Conservatives’ manifesto and echoed legislation brought in by David Cameron in 2015. The point of the Triple Tax Lock...

read more

What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)?

This is a government-backed scheme that protects a tenant and the deposit they initially put down when entering into a new tenancy agreement. This amount is decided by the landlord and is typically in proportion to the monthly rent up to a maximum of 5 weeks’ rent (or...

read more

Bookkeeping advice when setting up a business?

When setting up a business it is important to make sure that your bookkeeping system is suitable for your type of business – and also for your skills.  It should enable you to extract useful information (e.g. how much money have I got in the bank; who owes me money?)...

read more

VAT codes to use when bookkeeping in Xero

Different accounting software packages treat their VAT codes and rates in different ways. This quick guide should point you in the right direction so that you know which rate to use in which situation: Xero No VAT – These transactions will not appear on your VAT...

read more

Starting a business checklist – 20 things to consider

When starting a business there are a lot of things to think about and a checklist can be useful. The checklist below is not exhaustive but it does include tasks that are sometimes overlooked by people starting out in business.  It is always worth talking to an...

read more

HMRC Buy to Let Amnesty

If you rent out a residential property, HMRC will want to know the total amount received and the expenses you’ve paid for.  It applies even if there were periods when the property was empty. So what to...

read more

Get in touch today for a free consultation.

We are very happy to meet you to discuss your business or even your idea for a business. We will advise you on the most tax efficient structure if you are setting up and we can review your business if you are already trading.

Subscribe to our newsletter

By submitting your details you agree to receive email marketing from AMS Accountancy and have read and understood our Privacy Notice. You can withdraw your consent or change your preferences at any time by emailing us or by clicking the link at the bottom of every email we send you.